This is a document that sets forth the procedure of how a company will conduct and
issue security clearances to people applying to security sensitive positions. Factors
considered are the specific duties of the position, number of criminal offenses, nature of
the offenses, employment history and efforts at rehabilitation. This particular policy is
drafted for a university, but it can easily be customized to meet the needs of any
industry. This document can be used by small businesses or other entities that want to
establish a consistent security clearance policy.
Security Clearance for New Employees
Audience The information in this document is for use by all faculty, staff, contract
employees and volunteers, with the exception of those who work in
correctional facilities. Clearance for employees working in the correctional
facilities is the responsibility of the ________ [State] Department of
Criminal Justice or other appropriate correctional agencies.
1. Selects the final candidate
2. Prior to the offer being extended sends a “Request to hire” E-mail to the department’s
Human Resources Consultant which includes the candidate’s job requisition number.
3. Notifies Human Resources if circumstances require an offer to be extended prior to
completion of security clearance. Department uses template provided by Human
Resources for offer letter in these circumstances.
Human Resources Consultant/Recruiter
1. Ensures that job descriptions and advertisements identify security sensitive positions.
2. Ensures there is a signed authorization from applicant for criminal background check.
3. Will notify hiring department that an offer may be extended. If circumstances require that
offer be extended prior to completion of security review an offer letter must be used
stating that the offer is contingent on completion of a satisfactory criminal background
4. Upon receipt of information regarding a conviction or other criminal history information,
will consult with Employee Relations leadership regarding any potential risk. The
decision regarding clearance for hire will be made after this consultation.
Human Resources Employee Relations/Chief Human Resources Officer
1. Reviews criminal conviction history to assess risk of hire
2. Makes final determination if applicant is cleared for hire, promotion or transfer.
© Copyright 2011 Docstoc Inc. 2
3. Alert entity leader should a security concern exist regarding a Faculty or A&P position.
1. Should a security concern exist regarding a Faculty or A&P position, will review criminal
background and information and make decision if a candidate is cleared to hire.
a. Specific duties of the position
b. Number of offenses
c. Nature of each offense
d. Length of time intervening between the offense and the employment decision
e. Employment history
f. Efforts at rehabilitation
g. Accuracy of the information provided by the applicant on the employment
1. Criminal history record information on applicants who are under final consideration,
following normal screening and selection processes, for a position that is designated as a
security sensitive position;
2. Criminal conviction record information on a current employee who is under consideration
for a transfer, promotion or reclassification from a non-security sensitive position to a
position designated as a security sensitive position;
3. Criminal conviction record information on a current employee who is under consideration
for a transfer, promotion or reclassification from one security sensitive position to another
security sensitive position and on whom this university did not previously obtain either
criminal history record information or criminal conviction record information. This
university will not employ individuals in a security sensitive position if it is felt that the
individual might pose a security risk. If circumstances require an offer of employment to
be extended prior to completion of the security review, then a written offer letter must
state that the offer is contingent on the completion of a satisfactory security review.
Offer letters not containing this statement will not be considered valid.
A signed written authorization form must be obtained from the applicant prior to proceeding with
the criminal background check. This authorization form must inclu